Back
  • How should I choose my college major?

By AndrewL 2 Comments   August 22, 2019

CN

Focus on the working environment first. To an outdoor person, an office job could be torture, but to the socially active person, the larger the office the more opportunities to network and socialize. What kinds of people do you want to spend your working life with? What were the most enjoyable or rewarding classes that you have taken? If money is a big factor, go into some kind of high end sales. A CEO spends half his time on sales and marketing.
    By Charlesnolan October 17, 2019

CD

As a former college student, I can empathize with the frustration that comes with choosing a college major. I learned that it is extremely important to find a career path that you enjoy doing and would want to do it for the rest of your life. Happiness should be prioritized and not should not be entirely driven by what generates the most money. Nowadays, the Internet is one of the best resources out there in finding your passion. For whatever major you consider, you should thoroughly research the topic and applicable job positions after graduating. You can even take some online courses or watch informative videos to learn more about the field of study. One thing that many students fail to realize is that it is perfectly okay to change your major midway through your college life! It can take time to realize and gauge your interest in a particular subject. You can consider your parent’s decision but ultimately only you should have the final say because only you know what is best for you. I know many friends who initially blindly followed their parents’ wishes, only to regret many years down the road. It is not easy but you should try to find a career that you would be content with in the next 40 years or so. I personally recommend taking most of the General Education courses in your first two years so that you have the flexibility to change major if needed and also be introduced to a variety of topics.
    By ChrisD August 22, 2019
    To participate in this discussion, please Login